Adaminaby Cemeteries
Pioneer and New
1864 ~ 2002


 


A
daminaby is in the Monaro district of New South Wales which in the early years was very important to Gippsland.  Originally the town of Adaminaby was known as Seymour and came into being because of the gold rush at Kiandra in 1860.    In 1886 the name of Seymour was changed to Adaminaby so as not to be confused with the Victorian town of Seymour.  In 1957 the old town of Adaminaby was flooded for the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric Scheme.  Residents and some buildings moved to the present location 9 kilometers away.  Churches were also moved and rebuilt stone by stone.   The area is very popular tourist destination, for snow skiing, bush walking and trout fishing. 

The graves of the old Adaminaby Cemetery rest on a hill overlooking the tranquil waters of Lake Eucumbene.  This was the cemetery for the old township and is quiet large. The earliest headstone is 1864

The old Adaminaby cemetery is signposted on the Snowy Mountains highway south of the new township of Adaminaby, approximately 8 kilometers in on a gravel road.  It can also be reached from the old township of Adaminaby by following a gravel road around the shores of Lake Eucumbene.

A survey plan for a new cemetery was prepared in 1960.  In the late 60's early 70's the various churches passed the management and control of the cemeteries to the Snowy River Shire Council. 

After requests from the community the Snowy River Shire Council have recently built 4 Columbarium Walls for the interment of Ashes in the new cemetery.

The new Adaminaby cemetery is situated approximately 2 kilometers south of the new Adaminaby township.

After Gold was discovered in Kiandra in late 1859 it has been estimated that within 12 months some 15,000 diggers were prospecting there. Hotels, banks and stores were built, but by  1861 many diggers had left to avoid the cold harsh winter. It is reputed that skiing in Australia first began in 1861 at Kiandra.  Now all that remains of this historic place are a few plaques to show where some of the buildings were and the cemetery. 

There are approximately 12 headstones in the Kiandra cemetery, the earliest being 1867.  These have also been included on this CD.  

Kiandra is 89 kilometers north-west of Cooma, past Adaminaby on the Snowy Mountains highway. It is not a town. Traveling from Adaminaby towards Tumut the Kiandra cemetery is on the left hand side and is on the side of a hill.  A walking track is visible and some of the graves have been restored. It is also  signposted on the highway. 

Plus photos and inscriptions from plaques, Honour Rolls and stained glass windows in St. Johnís Church in the new Adaminaby township. Also parents where known have been added. Plus Cemetery Layouts.

Cost ~  $60.00 plus $5.00  P & P to anywhere in Australia.

For further information on interments in any of the above cemeteries please contact Ms. M. Wade, at the Snowy River Shire Council, 2 Myack Street, Berridale, NSW., 2628  

Scene from the Adaminaby Pioneer Cemetery looking out over Lake Eucumbene.

Order Page