Mallacoota is situated
521 km east of Melbourne with a population of approx. 3,000 people in
normal months and about 30,000 in holiday time. The Mallacoota
West Cemetery is situated on Mirrabooka Rd. approx. 2 kilometres before
the township. 10 acres of land was donated for the cemetery but
only about 1 acre is being used at the present. The original
Mallacoota Cemetery is in Croajingalong National Park across the lake
from Mallacoota on Cemetery Bight. Access is by boat or there is also
a walking track. No records exist for this Pioneer Cemetery but
there is possibly half a dozen headstones still there.
area was first settled in the 1830's when Ben Boyd and the Imlay
brothers who where whaling along the coast of southern New South Wales
to Northern Victoria. They established Mallacoota Inlet as their major
station south of Twofold Bay.
the early 1840's Captain John Stevenson was granted the first pastoral
run in the area. A memorial to him is on this CD.
The War Memorial is also on this CD-ROM
By the 1880's more settlers had moved in and commercial fishing began
with the fish being shipped to Melbourne. In 1894 gold was
discovered in the district. The Spotted Dog Mine was in operation
for approximately 3 years. The Pioneer Cemetery is near the
Spotted Dog gold mine.
Cemetery is signposted at the intersection of Mirrabooka Road.
obtain further information please contact the Secretary of the Trust,
Mr. Barry Allan, C/O Mallacoota Post Office.
Cost ~ $40.00 plus $5.00 for P & P to anywhere in