1897 ~ 2009
The Paynesville Cemetery is approximately 13kms. from Bairnsdale on the Paynesville road.
Gazetted in 1897 the Monumental part of the cemetery consists of the following sections. Anglican, Presbyterian, Methodist and Roman Catholic.
As time progressed and the population increased
a Lawn Cemetery and a
Niche Wall have also been added.
About 150 meters from the corner (where the Catholic Section is) on a diagonal is another small fenced area containing about twelve headstones. These are members of the Hamilton, James and Phipps families.
Pictorial Register of all headstones – close up of
headstone and a long shot which shows the whole grave. Some burials
without headstones. Also included are the Honour Rolls and War Memorial
with a list of names of those who served from the area. Parents where
known have been added. Plus Cemetery Layout.